Hypertext Preprocessor, or PHP for short, is an open-source server-side scripting language that is very popular for web app development. It is so popular that almost 80% of all websites use PHP (according to W3tech’s survey).
The main use of PHP frameworks is to simplify the arduous and complex process of coding by granting developers a platform where they create powerful apps in a very short time.
There are many PHP frameworks out there, and they might not all be what your web app needs best. Using the correct framework saves a great deal of time and helps balance out the workload instead of having to start coding from scratch.
If you’re interested in knowing which framework you need in order to create the perfect app in 2020, do read on and find out.
Why should you use a PHP Framework instead of something else?
Aside from being by for one of the most popular frameworks out there for web development, PHP frameworks come with some distinct advantages over competitors such as Ruby or Python.
1. They’re fast
Web pages developed with PHP frameworks are generally more responsive and have faster loading speeds. Plus, these frameworks provide developers with a set of tools and feature that greatly speed up the development process.
2. They work cross platform
PHP is able to function hassle-free across different platforms, as the code can be used both for mobile app development and website development.
3. They provide better database diversity
A key feature of most PHP frameworks is that they can be used with different databases and that some of them make use of object-relational mapping to cut out the need for complicated SOL codes while allowing operations across different databases to be made.
4. They’re more stable
Because PHP frameworks are so popular and have been used for quite a number of years now, most bugs have been found and fixed by the very active community of developers, resulting in an overall increased stability for the programming language.
5. They support CMS
The Content Management System, or CMS, is used by applications across all platforms for separating and presenting digital data. PHP also supports CMS, while also being the main language used when developing a CMS.
The top 5 PHP frameworks of 2020
Taking into consideration the advantages presented so far, it is clear that PHP frameworks are the developer favorites of 2020. Choosing the one that best suits your needs depends on factors such as development timeframe, your overall experience, and the web or mobile app development requirements.
Let’s dive into the 5 best PHP frameworks and see how they can help you cut down on time and overall improve the development process.
The most popular open-source PHP framework which was introduced back in 2011. Widely appreciated for its flexibility when it comes to handling difficult web applications in a shorter amount of time in comparison to other frameworks.
Laravel’s main appeal is that it simplifies common tasks such as routing, caching, security and authentication, greatly speeding up the development process.
Laravel Strong Points
- Laravel is able the handle the development of strong apps with complex backends due to its built-in features
- Highly customizable, with features such as MVC architecture support, routing, security and authentication.
- Laravel’s speed and security are perfect for modern web applications that can be easily adjusted to changing web trends
One of the oldest PHP frameworks, Symfony was launched in 2005. It has various advantages and benefits that make millions of custom web developers like. It is very good for creating web applications fast.
Symfony can be installed and configured on most platforms, which makes it ideal for large-scale enterprise projects to be developed with it.
Due to its age, the platform is very reliable as most bugs have been found and fixed. It shares many common features with Laravel, but the main different is that while Laravel is much easier for inexperienced developers to get into, Symfony is aimed at the more advanced and experienced developer.
Symfony Strong Points
- Due to its flexibility, Symfony is able to be compatible with bigger projects such as Drupal.
- Thanks to its reusable PHP components and module-based system, apps can be developed in the shortest time possible while requiring only a very mode amount of memory space
- Symfony allows for interoperability, so developers can make of use of various software building blocks to help speed up the development process
CodeIgniter is then perfect framework for those that need to deal with “particular” situations. Therefore, it is commonly used in the development of dynamic websites. Coming in strong with only a 2MB footprint and plenty of prebuilt modules, it is one the highest ranked PHP framework of 2020.
CodeIgniter Strong Points
- CodeIgniter is the ideal framework for beginners. It has ample documentation available, it is very easy to install and overall a straightforward experience.
- Easy to start with great performance. It also uses an MCV-based architecture.
- CodeIgniter is considerable faster than other frameworks, which makes it a very popular choice among many developers.
Phalcon is a PHP framework that is written in the C programming language. As odd as that sounds, Phalcon is widely used because it does not require that one knows C programming before starting to use it.
Phalcon Strong Points
- Full-stack framework that is very easy to install and use, therefore making it easy for newcomers to use it
- Due its light foot print and minimal use of memory space, Phalcon is blazing fast
- Key features such as top security, caching, increased execution speed and and universal autoloader
CakePHP is an open source platform developed in 2005. It features a simple and elegant toolkit that allows for the development of visually impressive, feature-loaded websites. Also a beginner favorite because of its CRUD(created, read, updated and delete) architecture.
CakePHP Strong Points
- Easy to use and understand due to its CRUD framework that is essential for the creation of standalone libraries when learning
- Top notch application security thanks to features such as cross-site request forgery (CSRF) protection, input validation and cross-site scripting(XSS).
- Great community built around it with plenty of support portals. The Cake Development Corporation even offers premium support services.
I hope that the above article was able to shed some light on what the Top 5 PHP frameworks are and what their advantages are. In the end, it is up to each developer on what framework they want to use to best fit their requirements.